My slow cooker gets used far more than my regular oven these days so I thought a guide to slow cookers would benefit people who assume they’re old fashioned! So without further ado here are seven reasons why you should try using a slow cooker if you don’t already, and hopefully this smart little guide will encourage you to try one!
- Save time: Once you’ve chopped/prepared your ingredients you bung it all in together generally, saving you time juggling different saucepans and working out when to put what in the oven so everything is ready at the right time. Of course there are more elaborate recipes where you add things at different times but even then you’re not standing over a hob stirring!
- Save energy & money: The average slow cooker uses far less than having your oven on, even if the slow cooker is on for hours more than an over would be! Then if you would have used your hob as well it’s an even bigger energy saving, meaning you’re saving money too! Slow cookers themselves can be purchased very cheaply, I have a Crockpot branded one now but only because the knob fell off my supermarket version after about 6 years of use!
- Dinner ready when you get home: Slow cookers have a low or a high temperature so even if you’re out of the house for ten hours you can set it when you leave in the morning and have dinner hot and ready when you walk in the door, no matter how much later that is. You can always use a timer switch for recipes that need less cooking time too.
- Batch cook: If you get a large capacity slow cooker you can cook more, and portion it up and freeze for later! Most Slow cooker meals are ideal for this, like curry, bolognese and lasagne for example.
- Try new meals: There are so many amazing meals you can cook in a slow cooker, including desserts! I made an amazing orange chocolate cake a few weeks ago and it was SO simple and tasted delicious. But apart from sweet treats you’d be surprised at the variety of meals you can make, from casserole type dishes to full roast chicken with potatoes! Try my Pork Carnita recipe for something new!
- Less to wash up: One pot to wash instead of three or four! Plus generally a good soak with washing up liquid does the trick, no scrubbing metal pots and pans!
- Safer if you’ve got kids: No hot oven-front to worry about, and no pans on the hob either! You can set the slow cooker up on a corner of your work top and as long as the power cable is out of the way there’s nothing to worry about at all!
Out of all those reasons though I think the time and money saving aspects just make using a Slow Cooker a really smart choice, energy saving choice. E-on’s Smart meters are clever little devices that send real-time data about your gas and electricity usage, enabling you to really keep an eye on what you’re using and adjust your usage as you go. Being hit with a mega bill when you least expect it is never a good thing, so having the ability to know what you’re spending as you go would be really beneficial. The Smart Meter lets you set a a daily spend limit, check your current balance and shows your what you use in pounds and pence, rather than trying to work it out from kilowatts, smart indeed!
E-on wants to know what your very own food related Smart Tip is, have you got a culinary short cut that saves time or money? Or a dish that is delish but cheap as chips to make? Let me know in the comments what your tip is and you could win a £50 John Lewis Voucher!