When people come to East Sussex, they often go straight to Brighton. It’s well known and there’s lots to do what with the beaches, museums and the sea life centre to name a few attractions. But just 15 miles, approximately 20 minutes up the road, is Lewes. A historic town with a bustling high street full of cafes, antique shops, and more pubs than you can shake a pint glass at – and that’s not even including the Brewery! I love Lewes – it’s so pretty, and because it’s a little closer to me, I’ll often visit it over Brighton. If you’re thinking of visiting, here are just a few things you can get up to during your visit:
- Lewes Castle – Based just off the high street, the Castle is surprisingly large and boasts a stunning 360 degree view when you finally reach the top. Entrance also gains you entry into Anne of Cleves house.
- Spring Barn Farm – Just outside of Lewes, Spring Barn Farm is based on the Downs and is a lovely spacious farm with lots of things to see and do, from farm animals, to several indoor and outdoor play areas.
- Southover Grange and Gardens – A particular favourite of mine, the gardens here are the perfect spot for a picnic or a toddler sized stroll. They’re even pretty in the winter!
- Anne of Cleves House – Just up the road from Southover Grange, Anne of Cleves House is pretty little time capsule full of interesting facts about the fourth wife to Henry VIII.
- Priory Ruins – An unsurprisingly peaceful and tranquil place, which is helped by the South Downs backdrop, the Priory Ruins is another place to let your toddler run wild. With free entry, it’s a nice place to spend an afternoon.
So there are my top 5 places to visit in Lewes. Why not pay them a visit, or simply give Lewes a try and see what you can find.
This post was written by my blogging friend Kate, who has a little boy, T who is almost exactly the same age as Arlo. They live just outside Brighton and Kate writes a blog about being a same-sex family raising a baby. Expect days out, reviews and opinions, definitely one to add to your bloglovin list! You can find her here…