Living a simple life having a lot less ‘stuff’ is something that appeals to a number of people. However, with this, you can start to feel quite overwhelmed, nervous, defeatist, or anxious when you think about having fewer things that you own. When you learn to live with less and to really declutter your home, then you will quickly realise that it doesn’t have to be something that is difficult. Believe it or not, there are a range of benefits to it too!
If you are someone who is struggling to ‘let things go’ and need some help on how to declutter then getting a little creative can be just what you need to help you with your plans. You might be getting ready to move house like me, prompting a big clear out so that there are fewer things for the removals team to take away. You might just want to make a change in your life and it starts with sorting your home. Whatever the reason, here are some decluttering tips that will help to get you started on decluttering your home.
- Decluttering can feel overwhelming, especially if you think that you have to face a whole room and all of the cupboards and drawers that are in it. Starting by doing five minutes at a time is something that can be helpful and give you a focus. It is a good starting point if you have a lot to do, and then it can increase in time when you have more time to spare.
- Think about clearing away one item each day. This could be chucking something that is broken and can’t be fixed, recycling an item, selling something, or giving something away. If you do this on a daily basis, just one item, then by the end of the year you will have 365 fewer items in your home.
- If you are short on storage space but have a lot of things that you still want to keep, then looking at getting a storage unit can be a good idea. Go through each thing before taking it to a storage unit, though. Think about why you want it and whether it’s just because you are a bit of a hoarder, or because you really need and want it.
- We can all look in our wardrobes and think that we have nothing to wear, even with it full of clothes. That is why going through clothes and selling or donating what you know you will no longer wear, is a really good idea. Don’t give space to items that you dislike, that don’t fit, or you just don’t want anymore.
- Taking before and after photos of anything that you want to make a change with can be so satisfying. So if it will help to motivate you, take some before photos, as well as after photos. When you see the visual difference, it can be the motivation that you need to carry on decluttering other areas of the home. It makes for great ‘tap to tidy’ content on social media too!