Even though it might feel as though summer’s already over (yep, the great British weather has really lived up to its reputation this year!) there’s still plenty of time to make the most of the remaining school holidays. Over the next few weeks, we’ve got plenty of things planned, even though we’re not one of the ‘cool kids’ heading off to a festival this year. If the weather stays nice and dry, we’ll head out into the great outdoors and build dens, play sports and explore the local area. However, failing that, we do have a backup plan in place.
If we can’t go to a festival, we might as well bring one to us, and we’ll do that by filling our home with some I-just-can’t-help-but-dance tunes that the whole family we love. All it takes is a great playlist and you and your kids will be busting dance moves even Michael Jackson would have been proud of.
To create your playlist, all you need to do is make sure you’re selecting things that are as child-friendly as possible. And to give you a head start, here are some of the tunes we love to throw some shapes to:
- Taylor Swift – Shake It Off – After all, we all need a bit of sass in our lives!
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop the Feeling – My little Trolls are absolutely besotted with this song, and I have to agree, it’s one of the best from this great soundtrack.
- Carly Rae Jepson – Call Me Maybe – OK, so you might roll your eyes when this comes on, but we’re pretty sure you’ll be tapping your feet and making phone signals with your hands after a while.
- Pharrell Williams – Happy – This song is still a popular choice, thanks to its appearance in a Fiat commercial and Despicable Me 2. It may have been overplayed on the radio but once you hear this on your playlist it’s perfect for dancing to. With its 60s-inspired sound, we’re pretty sure this’ll get Dad on the dancefloor (lounge carpet), too.
- Jackson Five – ABC – Talking of Dad, why not get him involved by letting him get out all his favourite vinyl records from his own childhood? For example, this classic song from Jackson Five cannot be classed as a ‘boring oldie’ as its funky bass line, keyboard riffs and wonderful vocals will definitely put a smile on your family’s face, regardless of how old they are. It would also be great for learning the alphabet if Michael managed to get past the letter C!
- Deee-Lite – Groove is the Heart – Oh yes, we went there. This fun song is incredibly danceable, and the kids are sure to fall about laughing when they hear the raspberries at the end of the rap.
- Katy Perry – Firework – Once this song comes on, your little ones will turn into their very own firework display as they twist and shout to one of the favourites – Katy Perry.
- Kelly Clarkson – Stronger – The ultimate karaoke song, this classic from Kelly Clarkson will have all of you grabbing your hairbrushes and repeating Clarkson’s mantra, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…” la, la, la.
Hopefully the above gives you some idea as to just how much fun putting together a playlist is, let alone playing it for the entire family!